Saturday, September 30, 2006

Park City Girl Quilt Festival





Quilt for Grandma & Pop


This is one of my favorite Quilts, because I designed it myself, and it's so personal.. It's about 36" by 42".

My best friend helped me draw out my idea on a large sheet of brown paper, taped to the floor, and I cut it apart to use as pattern pieces.

It's a family tree, with apples on it, and the apples have all the names of my parent's children and grandchildren embroidered . The sun has my parents' names on it, and is a separate quilted piece attached after the body of the quilt was done.

In the background I appliqued an F-15 fighter plane zooming into the wild blue yonder as a nod to my Father's 20 years in the Air Force working on that plane. I used a silhouette of an F-16 to trace out the applique, and did my best to straighten up the tailfins, but I didn't fool Dad.

He liked the Quilt anyway.

Photobucket

Family Tree4

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic quilt. I just adore the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the sun being added afterwards. Gives a different feel to the quilt. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet family quilt. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So creative and full of memories! thanks for sharing! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! It is so original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling family quilt! Love your interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and personal quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent! Love that sun

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute quilt. I love the way you used the quilting to create texture in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet quilt! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete