Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Quilt repair 1

Repairing an old quilt is a painstaking progress..
A friend of mine asked me to do a few fix ups on her grandmother's quilt.

Here's one part of the damage:
Patch 1


And the fix:
Photobucket
The fabric had just disintegrated here, so I had to patch over it. Since the batting here was gone, I used a little batting from a part of the edge I cut off and padded it before adding the patch. I used a piece of feedsack material salvaged from another old quilt to handsew a patch.

Next problem:
Photobucket

Fix:
Photobucket

I removed the fabric at the tear on that edge, about 3 inches, to allow enough room to cut off the damged portion of binding and rebind the edge. The back of the quilt was a lovely blue polka dot fabric and the quilter had folded over the edge of the backing to bind it..I wanted to keep it true tp the original , so I did it the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment