Saturday, June 13, 2009

Recycling T Shirts 1 : a rug

This projects started as a swap for some fabric with a friend. She wanted a rug, and I wanted her stash..So I learned to make a rug.

I started with a pile of old t shirts in bright colors, washed and dried them,and used a rotary cutter to cut into strips about an inch wide and 4 inches long:

Recycle T shirts 1

I cut up several shirts at a time, and sorted into bags by color. I used the mesh that is used for making latch hook rugs as the base:
Recycle t shirts 1

And used a latch hook tool to pull one end of a strip of fabric through the mesh
Recycle T shirts 1

And then tied a knot
Recycle T Shirts 1

Trial and error proved that I didn't need to put a knot in every row, I did two rows, and skipped a row, and skipped a row diagonally as well. the t shirt material will full up space and stand straight up, giving a nice thick, fluffy rug:
Recycle t shirts 1

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I need to try it, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you bind the edges?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I'll bind the edges yet..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:49 PM

    you can use sweaters with holes in them for this, too! or even old sheets/towels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:27 PM

    Awesome. Iv been looking for an idea for a rug. I have planty of old shirts i dont have the room for.

    ReplyDelete